Events - Event View
This is the "Event Detail" view, showing all available information for this event.
If the event has passed, click the "Event Report" button to read a report and view photos that were uploaded.
What Is "Affordable" Housing and How Do We Get It?
What Is "Affordable" Housing, and How Do We Get It?
When: Monday June 5, 2023 at noon
Where: Online via Zoom | Registration required
Shelley Higginbotham: Board Chair, People's Self Help Housing
Scott Collins, Executive Director, Housing Authority SLO
Teresa McClish, Housing Policy & Programs Manager, City of SLO
Stephen Peck, President, Peck Consulting
James Worthley, Planning Director, SLOCOG
In this, the second in a series of webinars on the affordable housing crisis in our County, existing public and private agencies address this well-known problem. How do planning and financing programs that target affordable housing development work? Are they sufficient?
This webinar will also:
- Describe the most important financial programs that support the development of affordable housing and explain what they mean by “affordable” How are they working in SLO County?
- Show how city and county planning facilitates the development of affordable housing. Every California jurisdiction has a Housing Element in its General Plan that incorporates a Regional Housing Needs Allocation to plan for housing development affordable at all income levels. Are jurisdictions meeting their housing allocation goals?
- Show how the Regional Housing Needs Allocation process determines how many units of housing goals — including housing affordable to low income households — is allocated to communities.
- Learn how the state mandated Housing Element incorporates RHNA housing development goals and how that is implemented.
- Private developers are asked to include housing affordable to low and moderate income households all the time. State laws even incentivize it. But it’s still hard to do: the fact of the housing market is that lower income units are very difficult to build without subsidy.
This event will be recorded and available for later viewing on our YouTube channel.
Monday, June 05, 2023, 12:00 PM until 1:00 PM
Videoconference information will be provided in an email once registration is complete.
Lunch with the League